Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 14:27:59 +0200
From:      Dimitar Peikov <mitko@rila.bg>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Swapping performance

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002 04:01:58 -0800 (PST)
Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> wrote:

> he said -stable..
>
> what are the malloc options on -stable?
>
> maybe we should make sure that they are null
>
> ln -s ">" /etc/malloc.conf
> (I hope that helps) :)

I've tested it with :

cc -O6 -o malloc_test malloc_test.c

ln -s ">>" /etc/malloc.conf
ln -s "<<" /etc/malloc.conf
ln -s "HR>>" /etc/malloc.conf
ln -s "HR<<" /etc/malloc.conf

and no significant performance issue between the tests. There were some
differences but not amazing one.

> On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> > * Dimitar Peikov <mitko@rila.bg> [020307 00:45] wrote:
> > > I start some performance tests on -stable and on SuSE 7.1 / 2.4.17. I
> > > don't comment about 'bzero' performance, but when RAM is over, Linux
> > > is much faster. I have no idea what is the algorithm of swapping but
> > > it seems that the granularity of swapping pieces is the key or the
> > > importance of swapping memory blocks of certain task. Ooo I forgot to
> > > say that the both machines have the same hardware, IBM 300PL, 256 RAM
> > > and no other tasks running. I had to run these tests to choose the
> > > fastest platform for building our software indexes, which requires a
> > > lot of math and memory operations.
> >
> > Also, which version of FreeBSD?
> >
> > --
> > -Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
> > 'Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"
> >  start asking why software is ignoring 30 years of accumulated wisdom.'
> > Tax deductible donations for FreeBSD: http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/

Dimitar Peikov
Programmer Analyst
Globalization Group