Date:      Thu, 07 Mar 2002 23:00:11 -0800
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [SOLVED] Panel/Session problems (was Re: Various questions)

Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com> writes:
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Dave Hayes wrote:
>> I restared GNOME for the first time in 30 days, and it came back up
>> very strange. It tried to start 10 more panels than I had originally,
>> panel applets come up with a strange looking "piece of chicken" icon,
>> and the panel looks different on each multiple desktop.  Some applets
>> appear to be working on one desktop and broken on the next. Starting
>> new applets in the menu panel fail to go into the menu panel but go
>> into another sliding panel instead?
>> What gives? How can I reset gnome's session to "just the default"?
>> Also, I hear gnome has a problem with multiple desktops, is this
>> true?
> I don't see any gnome panel wierdness on my system.  Of course, I am
> running later versions of gnomelibs and gnomecore.  You can always
> shutdown gnome, cd ~/.gnome, and run rm -rf panel* to retore panel
> settings to default.

This worked, and so as not to rock my boat, I've found a checkbox in
the "sessions" area of the control center which I think stops gnome
from saving my sessions ("Automatically save changes to session").
I created a default "startup" then UNchecked this box, which will give
me a good starting point should I ever have to shut down again.

Anyway this is for the benefit of others who may find this information
through a search engine someday.

> I have multiple virtual workspaces setup through sawfish, and gnome
> works fine.

Hmm, I'm using enlightenment. Maybe that's it?

> I recommend you upgrade to the latest ports tree, and update all
> your gnome components.

Heh. There are literally so many components to gnome, that I am afraid
to upgrade due to the possible introduction of new behavior or bugs
that would prevent me from doing work. Additionally, I've found that
it's kind of hard for me to be productive when I'm building my desktop
over and over. So I'd like to ask you, how do -you- manage this? How
do others? What frequency do you recommend for doing a rebuild and
what frequency do you -actually- rebuild? =)
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

Learn from the mistakes of others. You don't have time to
make them all yourself.