Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 2002 10:17:16 -0600
From:      "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>, developers@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org, re@FreeBSD.org, portmgr@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Be nice to -CURRENT ( "1 week Feature Slush" )

> > currently kde doesn't work due to binuntils update.  It may work now
> > after the most recent binutils update, but we have to recompile kde to
> > see that I believe, andkdelibs cannot be compiled which builds
> > kde-config which the rest of the kde meta-ports try to run.
> >
> > I think that last sentence is a huge run on and I by no means am trying
> > to complain, just wondering if anyone thinks its important to make it on
> > this snapshot.
>
> Hmm.  My impression was that the libpng stuff had been fixed, could you
> confirm that KDE still doesn't build on 5.0-CURRENT?

Its not related to libpng, I believe that has been fixed, but I
cannot tell for sure because kde cannot be compiled under -current.
I'm not the only one that is experiencing it either, here is what I
was told by Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 05:26:27PM -0600, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
>When I try to build kdelibs2 I get the following under recent
>-current builds
>
>,.deps/kextsock.pp -c kextsock.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/kextsock.o
>kextsock.cpp: In method `struct kde_addrinfo *
>KExtendedSocketLookup::results()'
>:
>kextsock.cpp:294: implicit declaration of function `int __htons(...)'
>kextsock.cpp:353: implicit declaration of function `int __htonl(...)'

Yes. Recent changes to netinet/in.h have made it require the inclusion
of arpa/inet.h. As well, arpa/inet.h must include netinet/in.h. IOW,
each
of these files must #include the other in order to work correctly.

As you  might guess, this is a less than desirable situation. A
#includes
B and B #includes A is a very bad arrangement. However, unless both
files
are overhauled, that is what will have to happen.

To say that this sucks is an understatement. I already have an open PR
on the arpa/inet.h problem. Now that the reverse dependency has been
made to occur, I have written portmgr@ requesting a referral to a
mainline developer who can handle this mess in an expedient manner.

In the meantime, you need to find every occurence of either of those
files being included, and make sure the other is included as
well. netinet/in.h needs to come first.

Since the problem is a large one, and any change will not happen
without a reasonable amount of deliberation, I suggest you submit a PR
with a patch for kdelibs source tree.

--
David W. Chapman Jr.
dwcjr@inethouston.net	Raintree Network Services, Inc. <www.inethouston.net>