Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 17:24:34 -0500
From:      Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Jimmy Olgeni <olgeni@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/www/neon pkg-plist ports/www/neon/files patch-ltmain.sh

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 12:17:35AM +0200, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-03-10 at 22:57, Jimmy Olgeni wrote:
> > olgeni      2002/03/10 12:57:43 PST
> >
> >   Modified files:
> >     www/neon             pkg-plist
> >     www/neon/files       patch-ltmain.sh
> >   Log:
> >   Install libneon.la, which is needed by the devel/subversion port.
>
> Just wonder why does it need it? Looks like a bug to me.

The subversion build system is set up so that you can build with neon
either in the subversion tree or out of it.  As a result, it tries to
use the libneon.la file, since neon normally installs it.  I could
hack around it, but it doesn't make much sense to me to patch one port
(neon), changing what it installs, thus requiring us to patch still
more ports (subversion, plus whatever else might depend on neon
installing that file).  To me anyway, it seems fairly reasonable for
someone to assume the file will be there, since neon installs it by
default anyway.

Why not just avoid the mess entirely and install the file?

-garrett

--
garrett rooney                     Unix was not designed to stop you from
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net       doing stupid things, because that would