Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:30:28 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Stephen F. Combs" <steve.combs@indsys.ge.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Questions on the Sparc64 port of FreeBSD

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 10:42:10AM -0500, Stephen F. Combs wrote:
> General Question..... I have access to an old Ultra1/170E (Ultra1,
> i.e. does it support Ultra1 with the HME and onboard SCSI (also have
> SBUS SCSI card as well, don't remember the model, but 'tis fast/wide
> SCSI...) does it have ANY Creator3D (ffb) device support???

HME is supported.  But I am having a problem with my U1 (non-E) with an
HME add-in card.  It would be great if you would try your U1E to see how
well we work on it.  Several people I know have U1E's, but none have
tried FreeBSD on them yet.  The on-board SCSI is not supported yet, so
you'll have to use an NFS /.  This is not such a bad thing.  I still use
NFS / for my ultrasparc and it does have a supported IDE and SCSI
devices.

I have no idea about the FB support -- all the main developers are using
serial console.

> Not going to have a LOT of time, but got hardware and am willing to
> devote some hours/week to the project...

It would be great if you could try the latest kernels on your various
UltraSparc hardware so we can get a better idea of what works and what
doesn't.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)

P.S.  > Salem, VA
      Ah, my own home town (well Roanoke actually). :-)