Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 08:00:22 -0600
From:      Tim <tim@sleepy.wojomedia.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qmail (Was: Maintaining Access Control Lists )

> If you are adding a domain to a virtual hosting system that
> includes DNS service for the domain, and the primary data
> source is actually a database, then daemon configuration files
> are actually derived data from the database.

  Yes makes sense.  I believe most larger sites do it like this.

> The secondary update was staggered to occur after the primary;
> what this meant was that there would be an immediate zone
> transfer from the primary for the new zone in the secondary,
> so the only data that needed updating was the zone record
> itself.  Everything else happened on the primary.  Because
> the secondary was subservient in the hierarchy, the replication
> of the data to the secondary was automatic, and guaranteed
> correctness.  In the djbdns case, both would be primary, and
> one might contain stale data relative to the other (e.g. a
> bad serial number) because the configuration data was derived.

  First, I am assuming that you serialize the administration
script (no parallel scripts going on).

  If primary/secondary has the exact same zones, then with djbdns it
looks like this:

  database -> ns1
  rsync ns1 ns2

  ns2 will always be consistent with ns1 (guaranteed by rsync and
filesystem semantics) if rsync is triggered after ns1 update.

  I agree it's more complex, from the administrative script side, if
they don't have the exact same zones.  The hierarchy must be enforced
on the administrative script side.

  I agree with your points.  On the other hand, djbdns
solves a specific set of user needs very well (basically, those
that maintain n servers each of which containing the same zones).
I think it really depends on your needs.

  Thanks for the clarification.

  Tim