Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:29:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern kern_prot.c

:   If there is anything that I've gotten out of your long message (and
:the countless other emails from you in the past), it would be that you
:have absolutely no clue what being a team player means and that the word
:"collaboration" isn't in your vocabulary.

    You know, I'm getting rather sick and tired of this 'not a team player'
    crap.  It's as though all of my collaborations with people like
    Kirk McKusick, or Julian (whos been over to my house on several occassions
    to discuss KSE related material), or Jeff, or the various developers and
    users whom I help track down bugs, all of which is reflected on the lists
    and in the commit logs, is somehow made meaningless.

    It takes two-way communication to be a team player, and I can tell you
    that if you believe that John and Jake are being team players by
    basically telling me throw away 40 hours worth of good solid work
    without at least supplying a reason why, other then that they feel
    its too soon, then there is something seriously wrong with your
    thinking processes.  You try dealing with someone telling you to
    throw away that amount of work without good reason, and YOU try to
    dealing with people accusing you of things that are simply not true,
    and see how long you can stay civil!

    I have been accused with interfering with John's ucred work, with
    breaking APIs, with breaking preemption, with breaking the other
    architectures.

    WELL, GUESS WHAT!  NONE OF IT HAS TURNED OUT TO BE TRUE!  Has anyone
    apologized to me?  No.  And yet all of these accusations were used
    together to justify forcing me to (B) backout the commit I had done
    and (B) to grind me into the asphalt.

    Well, I HAVE NOT interfered with John's ucred work.  His commit, 4 weeks
    later, was almost precisely my commit.  Unless you consider the 10
    seconds of merge work John would have had to do, there was no
    interference.  I HAVE NOT broken any APIs.  In fact, my original
    stage-1 critical*() code required no changes whatsoever to the
    other architectures.  I HAVE NOT broken preemption (I repeatedly
    asked John to clarify how exactly my work was breaking preemption and
    he never answered).  I have NOT broken the other architectures.  In
    fact, I took great pains to avoid breaking the other architectures in
    that original commit.

    And, most certainly, I have NOT been working in a vacuum.  This
    was all on the lists WHILE I WAS WORKING ON THE PATCHES, and until
    the John/Jake & friends clique brought it to a screeching halt it
    was going just fine.  I have gone OUT OF MY WAY to compromise by
    trying to commit things incrementally. I have stated in no uncertain
    terms that I have NO PROBLEM making adjustments to the code.  I like
    to develop incrementally, I do not expect any of my commits to be set in
    stone.

    So whos not being a team player now?  Is it poor Matt whos being reamed
    by those who refuse to explain themselves or address the issues he
    brings up directly, or is it those who believe that they are being team
    players by making blind accusations that turn out not be true without
    bothering to research the issues first or even apologize.

    I'll tell, this is over the top.  You should have no expectation that
    I will crawl into a corner here.  You should, I believe, make every
    effort to answer the straightforward questions that I've been trying
    to have answered for the last four weeks in as direct a fashion as
    possible, without tryging to wiggle out of it.  And if you find you
    can't, then you should look to other places for the reasons why rather
    then simply blaming me for all of your ills.

    It is amazing to me how much wiggling around you people do to avoid
    answering a simple question.  I'm wondering if John will at least
    try to answer my straightforward question about why he simply could not
    allow me to commit my kern_prot.c patches since it is effectively what
    he comitted four weeks later.  John, can you answer that one question?
    What's the problem?

						-Matt