Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:29:57 -0600
From:      Vladimir Egorin <vladimir@math.uic.edu>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: qmail (Was: Maintaining Access Control Lists )

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 03:12:46AM +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
	> 	I've been on IETF mailing lists with him, and his attitude is
	> always that he is always right (by definition) and everyone else is
	> always wrong (by definition).  He insists on replying to each and
	> every mail message posted to the list, and constantly dredging up old
	> points that everyone else has agreed were dead a long, long, long
	> time ago.
	>
	> 	He will reply to messages that are not anywhere near remotely
	> related to his favourite topic, quote some random line that is least
	> unlike the straw-man position that he wants to destroy, and then go
	> off on a multi-page rant.
	>
	> 	He considers himself to be God's gift to programming, security,
	> Internet mail, DNS, cryptography, and anything else he cares to
	> decide to screw around with, and woe betide anyone who ever disagrees
	> with his world-view -- even if that world-view changes and you used
	> to be his most vocal supporter.
	>
	>
	> 	The problem is that he is generally totally fscking clueless (at
	> least on all the topics with which I am familiar), and his
	> whacked-out ideas of how things should be done are non-solutions to
	> non-problems, and he simply doesn't understand what the real problems
	> are.

Brad,

You are making a very general statement.  Such statements are usually
blind and unfair.   I won't comment on Prof.  Bernstein's abilities as
a programmer or his character, but in the areas of his direct expertise
(mathematics) he is very good.   I am saying this as his former
colleague and student.

--
Vladimir