Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 13:58:08 -0500
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        sw@anthologeek.net, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/lang Makefile ports/lang/icc Makefile distinfo pkg-comment pkg-descr pkg-plist ports/lang/icc/files patch-include

Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net> wrote:
> On 26 M=E4r, Sameh Ghane wrote:
> =

You need to do
> >> =

> >> I've seen a speed increase of ~20% (compared to gcc produced code) i=
> >> some test cases. Just in case some is interested.
> > =

> > Of course we are interested in such speed improvements !
> > =

> > Can we build kernel with this (with gcc's help) ?
> =

> Feel free to try it and to send patches if it doesn't. :-)

I think we'd really have to move every bit of __asm__() out and only use =

actual .[Ss] files, or provide some alternative form of in-line assembly.=

I haven't determined if icc provides in-line assembly at all; even if it =

did, it would be totally backward from the syntax we currently use in the=
 =

most basic ways, so it would be impossible to write to both of them.

> > What about servers like Apache (it would be great for busy servers) ?=

> =

> I've seen this speed improvement in FPU intensive code (no MMX or SIMD
> used, plain FPU code, testet on an AMD Duron). I don't expect such a
> large speed improvement in "ordinary server code". And trust me, it
> would be a lot of hassle to get apache compiled with icc.

I got Ruby compiled with icc some weeks back and I seem to recall around =
a =

20% speed improvement, as well.  An interpreter is a good benchmark for a=
 =

compiler's ability to generate both fast and correct code :)

-- =

Brian Fundakowski Feldman                           \'[ FreeBSD ]''''''''=
''\
  <> green@FreeBSD.org  <> bfeldman@tislabs.com      \  The Power to Serv=
e! \
 Opinions expressed are my own.                       \,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,=
,,,,\