Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:55:20 +0100 (CET)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        green@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        sw@anthologeek.net, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/lang Makefile ports/lang/icc Makefile distinfo pkg-comment pkg-descr pkg-plist ports/lang/icc/files patch-include

On 26 Mär, Brian F. Feldman wrote:

>> > Can we build kernel with this (with gcc's help) ?
>>
>> Feel free to try it and to send patches if it doesn't. :-)
>
> I think we'd really have to move every bit of __asm__() out and only use
> actual .[Ss] files, or provide some alternative form of in-line assembly.
> I haven't determined if icc provides in-line assembly at all; even if it
> did, it would be totally backward from the syntax we currently use in the
> most basic ways, so it would be impossible to write to both of them.

icc understands parts of gcc specific attributes and the gcc assembly
syntax (at least parts of it, if I remember correctly). To use MS syntax
you have to specify the "-use_msasm" option. So it may not be that
impossible to support both...

But the Linux kernel isn't icc compilable too, so it's not that much of
a drawback...

>> > What about servers like Apache (it would be great for busy servers) ?
>>
>> I've seen this speed improvement in FPU intensive code (no MMX or SIMD
>> used, plain FPU code, testet on an AMD Duron). I don't expect such a
>> large speed improvement in "ordinary server code". And trust me, it
>> would be a lot of hassle to get apache compiled with icc.
>
> I got Ruby compiled with icc some weeks back and I seem to recall around a
> 20% speed improvement, as well.  An interpreter is a good benchmark for a
> compiler's ability to generate both fast and correct code :)

Awesome. Now... what about "cd .../ruby; make -DUSE_ICC"? ;-)

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            The dark ages were caused by the Y1K problem.