Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:35:46 -0800
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        esoha@attbi.com, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bento errorlogs and /dev/fd/*

Hi Kris,

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 04:27:07PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > This has to be an input to the program.  And book-building is already
> > on stdin, so we need another input.
>
> Looks like we're missing some context on this discussion.

OK, I thought I provided a pretty thorough explanation in my original
email, but I will try again.

We want crafty to analyse all of the games in an enormous file, in
order to produce an "opening book" which is much smaller than the enormous
file.

We have the enormous file in zipped form.  We could unzip it, but it
would take up a great deal of space (300+ MB) which would be inconvenient
for the user, and shouldn't really be necessary.

In order to instruct crafty to build an opening book, we need to give
it a command on stdin, specifying the name of the enormous file and
a couple of other parameters.  This precludes us from supplying the
enormous file on stdin.

My solution has been to use the shell's redirection syntax to gzcat
the zipped enormous file into crafty's file descriptior #3.  Then, in
the command we give crafty, tell it that the enormous input file is
"/dev/fd/3".

This works extremely well, except that "/dev/fd/3" does not exist in
the chroot'ed package building environment.  I proposed several possible
solutions in my original email, and welcome opinions as to which are the
best.

Matt

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * Inertia is a property