Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 18:39:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   'b' processes in vmstat climbs steadily over time...

Hello,

I am running two fairly "classic" multi-user systems - one on 4.4-RELEASE
and one on 4.5-RELEASE.

The number of processes on each machine has been fairly consistent over
the last month or so - about 250 processes on each machine.  I am _very_
alarmed that every day, another one or two processes gets added to the 'b'
column in `vmstat` output:

 r b w     avm    fre  flt  re  pi  po  fr  sr aa0 md0   in   sy  cs us sy
id

... (first line irrelevant)

3 17 0  270948 174504   13   0   0   0  13   0   0   0  289   96  22  0  5
95

As you can see there are now 17 processes being "blocked for resources".
This number will continue to climb ... usually I reboot the system when it
gets above 20.

I don't see or feel any negative performance on the machine, but my
previous training in solaris told me that a lot of processes blocked for
resources is _bad bad bad_.

So what gives ?  How come even though the usage of the machine is steady,
the number of blocked processes rises and rises the longer the machine
runs ?

A related question:  how can I tell which processes are the culprits ?

thanks!