Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 16:00:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Culver <culverk@alpha.yumyumyum.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.ORG>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>, <jake@locore.ca>, <dillon@FreeBSD.ORG>, <cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/i386 critical.c src/sys/i386/include  cpufunc.h critical.h src/sys/i386/isa apic_vector.s icu_vector.s src/sys/kern kern_fork.c kern_proc.c kern_switch.c src/sys/alpha/alp

> > > This looks better with proper 8 character tabs.  I think in KNF extra
> > > braces are normally used in situations like this, but this is an edge
> > > case.
> >
> > 8 character tabs? why use tabs at all? That requires an
> > engineer/programmer to set that in an editor, and a lot of people don't
> > like having tabs that are that large... I just use spaces because then my
> > code will look the same as when I wrote it no matter what editor is used,
> > and no matter what the tabs are set to.
>
> Then your code would be different from all other code in FreeBSD.
> Code checeked in should be 8 character tabs.. this is one of the most
> BASIC requirements, even if some developers feel themselves too important
> to abide by it.. It is one of the first things that gives  the BSD
> code base a unified appearance.

Well, this is a different situation than the one I'm describing, although
you could just use 8 spaces instead of an 8 character tab, that way
your code will look the same as when you wrote it, and the way you
intended it to look no matter what the code-reader's editor's tab-stops
are set to. :-)

Just a thought, I know converting everything in FreeBSD to use spaces
instead of tabs is not feasable, but I also know that requirements like
this tend to make the coder think more about the style they're coding in,
and less about the code itself, unless of course that coder just changes
his coding style and gets used to it, which is also kinda bad.

All that said, when I modify code that's already there, I tend to just use
the style of the code that's already there, including the 8 character
tab-stops. :-)

Ken