Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:27:08 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proposed code: automatic setting of hostname from MAC address

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 09:50:04AM -0600, Nate Williams wrote:
> Right.  It allows you to use the a custom configuration file that will
> allow you to configure multiple machines with the same configuration
> file, right?
>
> I don't like it because it's non-standard, and uses a completely
> non-standard configuration file.

I frankly don't understand your objection. I am just proposing to
add a few shell functions in the default scripts that users may
decide to use if they like to, or just stick to the existing
code.

Why do you define it "non standard", and call "not standard"
the config files ?
+ yes, in the picobsd version the MAC<->hostname mapping was
  in /etc/hosts, but this will be moved to /etc/ethers which is the
  standard place for this stuff;

+ the use of a "case ${hostname} .." in rc.conf is, yes, "non standard",
  but you don't have to use it, and as a matter of fact it is what lets
  you handle the "slightly different configuration" for each machine
  in a centralised place.

> However, I don't have a better solution.  What I did was rip out all of
> the code in my PicoBSD builds to use the stock 'rc.conf' stuff, and then
> I add a customized rc.conf for each different machine I build (by hand)
> that contains that machine's configuration.  However, in my case, each
> machine has a slightly different configuration, so I need something more
> than a different ifconfig line, so my situation is obviously different
> than yours.

	cheers
	luigi