Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 22:20:32 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely9.cicely.de>
To:        Thomas Holmes <tholmes@thebiz.net>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: diskless booting

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 01:26:48PM -0400, Thomas Holmes wrote:
> > So, you're saying that the SRM bootp request hasn't made it to the server?
>
> I connected them by crossover and was able to see the bootps broadcasts.
>
> > Do you have the following, or equivalent, options in your dhcpd config
> file:
> >
> > allow bootp;
> > always-reply-rfc1048 on ;

These are needed that the dhcpd replies.
He does not see a request.
This may be because SRM has problems with the interface or because
of LAN problems between the client and dhcp server.
I've seen failures with suns because the switchnetwork need to long
establish the path when an interface goes up.
The suns hadn't tried long enough.
Maybe there are similar issues with SRM.
You can usually handle this by configuring you switches acordingly.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de