Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 03:55:02 -0400
From:      parv <parv@pair.com>
To:        Koroush Saraf <koroush@pacbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommend a laptop for FreeBSD

Do Wrap The Lines Around 69 Or So Characters.

in message <000f01c1e76a$5bc52180$7d00a8c0@compaq>,
wrote Koroush Saraf thusly...

> I'm looking to purchase a laptop to run FreeBSD.  Other than the
> best price performance, I'm looking for troublefree installation
> and native support for all the hardware.

that's a pipe dream of every laptop user ... preinstalled software
modem, broken vesa support on ati 128-rage graphic card, and almost
useless apm are my main problems on delll inspiron 5000e.

or, if you get all those, you may have to sacrifise in other areas,
say, external (hard|cd|dvd|floppy) drives.

see also:
  http://www103.pair.com/parv/comp/unix/freebsd/delli5000e.xhtmls
  http://www.grot.org/laptop/

> My main requirement is native openGL driver support to take
> advantage of the 3D hardware acceleration.

can't say anything about that.

> I'm leaning toward the Dell Dimension line of laptops, if you can
> recommend a better --name brand-- machine please let me know as
> well.

try -mobile list also: freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org.  (followup set)

 - parv