Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2002 15:16:09 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE not easily scalable to large servers ... ?

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 12:10:01AM -0300, "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> > You have more memory than you can allocate kernel memory to
> > provide page table entries for.
> >
> > The only solution is to increase your kernel virtual address
> > space size to accomodate the page mappings.
> >
> > How to do this varies widely by the version of FreeBSD you are
> > using, and, unless you read "NOTES" and are running a recent
> > -current, is not incredibly well documented, and requires an
> > understanding of how the virtual address space is laid out and
> > managed (which is also not well documented anywhere).
>
> Ya, this is the roadblock I'm hitting :(  I'm running 4.5-STABLE here, as
> of this afternoon ... thoughts/suggestiosn based on that?
>
> Also, is there somethign that I can run to monitor this, similar to
> running netstat -m to watch nmbclusters?

Marc, I seem to remember that David Greenman had some emails about
issues similar to yours. Search mailing list archives for last two
years or so for his name. I've yet to see any documentation for such
issues but it seems that's some kind of way to make living. You're
administering such boxes, you're supposed to know how to cope with
those boxes, if you don't know, somebody more knowledgeable will do
or take over.. that's how I see the whole issue about docs. We don't
have so large boxes yet, but I'm probably facing the same problem
soon. Nothing personal, just IMHO.
--

Vallo Kallaste
kalts@estpak.ee