Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2002 18:01:16 +0200
From:      Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
To:        Jeff Shevlen <jshevlen@passedpawn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Buildworld

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 11:52:34AM -0700, Jeff Shevlen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got 2 problems:
> 1. A buildworld compile failure
> 2. My kernel(s) won't boot  properly now.
>
> 1. Buildworld:
> I've tried several make.conf variations, but all buildworlds all kak
> at the dame place, in "stage 4" of the compile:

Did you do a make clean in between? That's neccesary to clean up the mess the
other compile left.

> 2. Kernel Boot
> I get dumped into single user mode when I boot.  I've tried booting
> the GENERIC kernel, and a backup kernel, but no matter what kernel is
> booting, after all the devices load this is what it says:

It seems that you're system binaries are inconsistent with the kernel and the
libraries. Try to remake world by
cd /usr/src
make clean
make buildworld
make installworld

After that rebuild your kernel.

> Mounting root from ufs: /dev/ad0s1a
> pid 7 (sh), uid 0: exited on signal 12
> April 21 00:00:00: init /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally,
> going to single user mode.
> Enter full pathname of shell, or RETURN for /bin/sh:
>

> Any ideas?
>
> JEff

Gr,
--