Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 06:04:54 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>, JJ Behrens <jj@nttmcl.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *** HEAD'S UP ***

If memory serves me right, "Karsten W. Rohrbach" wrote:

> How about a Changelog? NOTES (HEAD) and UPDATING in /usr/src are one
> way, but a semi-automatic way of making changes transparent to the
> administrator would be a good start, i think.

How is this different from the release notes?

src/release/doc/*
http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/relnotes/

> - most important, a list of _resolved_ SAs that are in the current dist.
>   in fact, i recognize this as a major point, judging from several
>   threads on -hackers and -security of the last weeks. finding out what
>   "patch level" you are on an arbitrary box would be "more
>   /etc/Changelog" and there you go. mergemaster would display the diff
>   between old and new version right when it starts, so the admin
>   instantly gets an overview of what major things have changed

This information is in UPDATING.  I suppose one could make a credible
argument that it should be in the release notes for the security
branches (e.g. RELENG_4_5), but that's not the way we do things
currently.

Bruce.