Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 19:32:34 -0600
From:      Zach Thompson <hideo@lastamericanempire.com>
To:        Maicon Stihler <lab.stihler@unidavi.edu.br>
Cc:        question freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: the best window manager

* Maicon Stihler wrote:

> I was wondering what wm should I install on my FBSD box. I need
> something that is easy to configure and that is customizable, fast
> and with a clean look. I like the Icewm, but I dont know any tool
> to configure the menus and the look and feel of it. Does anybode
> have an opinion about it? note. I dont like kde :)

Blackbox, AfterStep, and Window Maker are all customizable, fast, and
small (enough) in my opinion. Though Window Maker isn't the smallest
of the three , its ease of configuration and flexibility are a good
trade off. There are some nice config utilities (x11-wm/wmakerconf,
x11-wm/wmthemeinstall) and dock apps in ports. Though I'm not a huge
dock-type person, I do like certain things just "there", e.g. time,
temp, and a menu ;-)

I used Ice for a while but just couldn't reconcile myself with the
Windowsy bar-across-the-bottom look. Install a few and see what looks
"clean" to you.

Have fun,
Zach Thompson