Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 21:36:11 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        john@utzweb.net
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: is there a technical reason for apm or pnp to NOT be klds?

In message: <Pine.LNX.4.44.0204301608460.30583-100000@jupiter.linuxengine.net>
            John Utz <john@utzweb.net> writes:
: 7. discover that apm isnt a KLD either. :-(
:
: 8. wonder why apm isnt a KLD...
:
: 9. decide to ask list.

apm is hard to make a kld.  There's a number of things that we do
differently if apm is in the kernel, since apm is a known rogue when
it comes to timing things.  Since the clock attaches well before apm,
it is hard to go back and retro-fit things to behave properly.  With
enough work, you might be able to pull it off.

PNPBIOS I think is similar, but I don't know it well enough.

Warner