Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 20:44:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rhett Monteg Hollander <victorysoldier@yahoo.com>
To:        Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   XF86-4.2.0 + MGA driver

>Second biggie: I have a Matrox MGA G200 video card
>that was well supported in earlier releases.  The new
>release doesn't work at all if compiled without the
>WITH_MATROX_GXX_DRIVER=yes flag in make.conf.  The
>server whinges that it can't find
>MGA_HAL_something.so.foo.  So, re-compiling with the
>flag set builds a server that runs, but that (my
>guess) hangs the PCI bus.  The screen goes black, a
>few seconds pass in which no input of any sort works,
>and then the system does a hard reboot.
>
>So I'm running 4.2 with the vesa driver instead of
the >mga driver.  It works, but it's slow.

>Weeks have gone by and I haven't seen any other cries
>for help, so I guess I've done something dumb.  X is
>big, though, and I don't have sufficient spare time
to >try randomly tweaking config knobs and
re-building.  >I'll re-build and try again the next
time there's a >port version bump, of course.
Portupgrade will see to >that.

>Anyone have a clue about this?
>
>--
>Andrew

I've compiled XF86-4.2.0 just a couple of days after
it was released, for Matrox G250 (almost the same to
G200) using MGA driver done by Matrox. It compiled and
linked fine, but whenever I ran X on fresh boot I
received a nice looking black screen, however when I
opened a window or two in AfterStep I could see window
headers, so I could catch them by mouse cursor, move
here and there to clean my desktop ;) Looks like a
problem with framebuffer flushing. Anyway, it was
boring to do it on every boot-up. So I recompiled X
again with built-in MGA driver, disabled HAL, set some
extra parameters manually in XF86Config to disable DRI
which didn't work anyway etc., it still runs fine at
24+8 ARGB colour depth.

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Matrox Millennium G250"
    Driver      "mga"