Date:      Wed,  1 May 2002 14:26:45 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Johan Vromans <jvromans@squirrel.nl>
To:        Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
Cc:        hv@crypt0.demon.co.uk, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, perl5-porters@perl.org
Subject:   Re: Save a few hunderd kilobytes or a few hundred perl users?

Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org> writes:

> 	perl-5.10.0
> 	perl-library-standard-1.0
> 	perl-library-ISP-1.0

Whatever approach we take, two major problems must be solved to
accomplish this:
 1: A perl distribution must be able to be (re)located anywhere and
    use itself as a starting point to find its additional libraries
    and modules.
    The way ActiveState's rpm handles it (by patching the binaries and
    scripts) works, but defeats the rpm functionality to verify an
    installation.
 2: Add-on modules (base-perl and site-perl) must be able to fit
    themselves into an existing perl installation so they can be
    distributed in prebuilt form.

In short, we need componentized, prebuilt distributions.

Is this being worked on already?

-- Johan