Date:      Sun, 5 May 2002 04:48:27 -0400
From:      utsl@quic.net
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>, Scott Hess <scott@avantgo.com>, "Vladimir B. Grebenschikov" <vova@sw.ru>, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 08:15:14AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> utsl@quic.net wrote:
>
> [ ... linear directory search times on the majority of systems ... ]
> I wasn't really trying to exhasutively list all the reasons that
> it was bad to put a bunch of files in a large directory.  There
> are an incredibly large number of reasons for it to be bad, and
> I have better things to do than spending the rest of time pointing
> out impedence mismatches in algorithms.  8-).

Yup. I could think of quite a few more, myself. For most people, one or
two should be sufficient.

> My take on an application that doesn't scale is that "fixing" the
> application by changing the behaviour of the underlying system is
> just propping up bad code.  Bad code deserves to lose.  So if
> someone wrote an application like that, it's just as well that the
> programmer who failed to consider scaling issues lose out to the
> programmer who considered them.  After all, it's very likely that
> the failure to consider scaling issues is more of an "all or nothing"
> thing, and that the failure to consider one means that solving it in
> the OS will just expose the next one.  There's really no way you
> can make the OS behave perfectly for all applications.  At some
> point, applications programmers will have to learn how to program,
> or all bets are off.

Yes. Most people that supported the application I described would have
liked to catch the application programmers in a dark alley. People who
put 100,000 files in a single directory deserve what happens to them,
IMHO.

However, it is nice to have the tools to do things right. Given how
common this particulary problem seems to be, I think a library might be
a good idea. I may write one, I'm working on an application now that
needs to be able to scale to at least 1M files. :(

	---Nathan