Date:      Thu, 9 May 2002 11:48:06 +1200
From:      David Preece <davep@zedkep.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Pro's, advanced use and some general ports confusion.

I've been using FreeBSD for around two-three years, ish, have recently
started playing with other unixen (notably Debian) and have got to wondering
why, exactly, building from source is a good idea? Is it because we can get
over some library versioning problems?

There are other advantages that I would have thought a no-brainer to add to
the ports collection that I can't find any documentation on. For instance, is
it possible to build a port for only the 586 instruction set? Can we change
the optimisation level on gcc when we're building from scratch? Perhaps use a
different compiler? Is there a way I can add a global list of extra locations
where the distfiles may be located - a local FTP server for instance? Since
all ports can be turned into packages with 'make package', why do there
appear to be far fewer packages than ports?

And if all this can be done, where's the doc :)

Apologies for my weak grip on English today, one of those things.

Cheers,
Dave