Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 00:23:42 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        "S. Roberts" <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkg_version -v  returns: succeeds port for pdksh-5.2.14

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 10:26:29PM +0100, S. Roberts wrote:
> Hi There,
>    Strange one here for me.
>
> I've just cvsup'd my ports tree and then ran pkg_version -v and got this
> for one of my installed ports:
>
> pdksh-5.2.14                      >   succeeds port (port has 5.2.14.p2)
>
> Never seen that before! Could someone who know more about this give an
> explanation, please? Man pkg_version says this about that string result:
>
>  >   The installed version of the package is newer than the current
>      version.This situation can arise with an out-of-date index file, or
> when testing new ports.
>
> Taking both explanations for this case:
> 1] I always run portsdb -Uu after cvsup'ing the ports tree, I wouldn't
> have thought that my Index file was out-of-date.
> 2] Not sure about the "testing nrew ports" either, I'm not (oknowingly)
> actively testing new ports.
>
> Suggestions?

Nothing to worry about.

The problem is simply that the version number for the newest version of
the pdksh port (5.2.14.p2) is counted as "older" than the old version
number (5.2.14) by pkg_version.

So the bug is in the version number given to the latest update of the
pdksh port and not in anything you did.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson