Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 05:08:56 -0500
From:      David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>, developers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG, nectar@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is 4.3 security branch officially "out of commission"?

On Monday 20 May 2002 04:37 am, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I was notified by the members of the local FreeBSD community (we have
> a very strong presence of FreeBSD in ISP circles here) that seemingly
> 4.3 security branch isn't supported anymore, even though there was no
> official announcement about decommissioning.

See http://www.freebsd.org/security/index.html.  I quote
---
At this time, security advisories are being released for:

FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE
FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE
FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE

Older releases are not maintained and users are strongly encouraged to
upgrade to one of the supported releases mentioned above.
---

As Kris Kennaway mentioned on May 8 (security@ archives...), the official
lifetimes of the security branches are not long, although the security team
may choose to extend support longer as a courtesy, presumably if they have
the manpower and interest.

-David
--
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand...

Center for Cosmological Physics
The University of Chicago