Date:      Thu, 23 May 2002 21:54:27 +0200
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        Nicholas Esborn <nick@netdot.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: G400 DH or other TV-capable cards question

On Mon, 20-May-2002 at 11:53:17 -0700, Nicholas Esborn wrote:
> Hello, all.
>
> Recently, I saw a conversation about graphics cards which can output to TV
> under FreeBSD.  I have some questions about the various supported methods.
>
> I noticed that Andre Albsmeier was able to get the G400 working, but what

Yes :-). There is a small black frame around on the TV screen but that
doesn't bother me a lot. I have heard that there some overscan hacks
to eliminate this but haven't digged further into this yet.

> configuration does that reflect?  Are we talking about two independent
> displays with different resolutions and refresh rates?  How is the

Yes: I run 1280x1024 @100Hz on the first display and 640x480 @50Hz on the
second.

> performance?  Can you use 3D on either head with the TV head enabled?

I don't know. I didn't try it. I am not interested in 3D. Anyway, I were
happy if mplayer would work with -vo xvidix on the TV head. Currently,
I have to use -vo x11 which is a bit more cpu intensive. But it works.

> I'm trying to decide between the G400 DH and a G550.  I'd like good 3D *and*
> TV-out, and I'm hoping both are possible at once.  I'd like the TV head to
> be fast enough for flawless MPEG playback, and if 3D worked on it, that would
> be a plus.

The G450 and G550 don't have a working TV-Out under Linux and FreeBSD.
You can have a look at the Linux forum at the Matrox website. There
is some Matrox guy over there who is really very helpful. But, when it
comes to the question of when there will be TV-Out support under Linux
(and therefore FreeBSD) nobody replies. Instead you get lots of answer
from pissed-off Matrox users who have asked this 100s of times with
the same result.

	-Andre