Date:      Sat, 25 May 2002 06:33:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jerry Murdock <jerry_murdock@yahoo.com>
To:        Shoichi Sakane <sakane@kame.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Racoon SA Hard/Soft Lifetimes

--- Shoichi Sakane <sakane@kame.net> wrote:
> > I've successfully got a 2day old -Stable build to talk IPSEC/IKE with a
> > Sonicwall, but things fall apart when the SAs hit the soft lifetime limit.
>

> > A new SA is successfully negotiated with the Sonicwall when the soft
> lifetime
> > runs out, but the Sonicwall then ignores anything coming into it on the
> "old"
> > SA(which FBSD uses until the hard lifetime runs out).
>
> if your system has "net.key.preferred_oldsa" system wide value,
> you can configure the kernel using new SA immediately.
>
> try like the following,
> 	# sysctl -w net.key.preferred_oldsa=0

Sounds like exactly what I was looking for, unfortunately it doesn't seem to
have any effect.

I still see the counters for the old SA incrementing, and nothing going out the
new SA until the old one expires completely.

For now, I've modified racoon to set the soft lifetime to "hard lifetime - 10
seconds."  The value seems to work quite well for the connection in question
with no apparent key-renegotiation packet loss.

Thanks,
Jerry