Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 2002 03:53:01 +0400 (MSD)
From:      "."@babolo.ru
To:        edwin@mavetju.org (Edwin Groothuis)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Splitting up ports.

Edwin Groothuis writes:
> On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 03:15:03AM +0400, "."@babolo.ru wrote:
> > Brian Dean writes:
> > >
> > > Sounds like a good way to tuck the over 700 p5-* ports into their own
> > > directory within each category.  I.e., /usr/ports/devel/p5/*, etc.
> > Good point.
> > p5-* ports are not programs but modules
> > to expand given language (mostly?).
> > So hierarchy as
> >
> > ports/lang/perl5/archivers/...
> > ports/lang/perl5/devel/...
>
> IMO, keeping them sorted on functionality is more important. So
> 	ports/net/p5/...
> 	ports/mail/p5/...
>
> After all, they are already sorted in the categories "net perl" and
> "mail perl" where perl is only a administrative category and net
> and mail are the functional categories.
Let's look at any p5-* port.
For example ports/databases/p5-SQL-Statement
Assume I do something with SQL.
Need I in p5-SQL-Statement? No. never.
I need (may be) it ONLY if I program
something with perl5.
It is only perl language extension.
No independent meaning - only perl language extension.
So it is not interesten to you see a lot
of p5-* ports when you are looking for,
as example, some tool to display dBase III file.
And it is nothing interesten for perl
programmers see programs while looking for
perl module. Just look at current ports tree
now - they are totally different things
and separated now by names instead directory
names because of lack of hierarchy levels.

See a difference: webcopy is perl5
script to copy web sites.
It has some perl independent sence.

Sorry for bad English