Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 2002 00:12:47 -0400
From:      "Michael D. Harlan" <mike@harlanonline.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sending AT commands to modem from commandline ?

Hi,

I've spent the better half of 5 hours looking for the answer to this
question.  As a last resort, I send this e-mail to you good folks:

I have an external modem attached to COM2 (/dev/cuaa1).  Everything is in
good working order and I can connect to it using 'tip' to send it AT
commands.  My question is this: can I send AT commands to it from the
command line (or better yet, from a Perl script)?

I tried this:
	# echo "ATS0=1" > /dev/cuaa1

and it didn't work.  Granted, the send/receive lights blinked rapidly,
but the command didn't take.  The desired result would be for the modem to
auto-answer after 1 ring.  It didn't.  I used 'tip' to send it the command
and it worked.  From the command-line, I sent the ATS0=0 command, which
turns off auto-answer.  It didn't work.  I then used 'tip' to send the
command and it worked.

Auto-answer isn't the only thing I'm trying to accomplish here, so don't
concentrate on that.  It would be nice to be able to send the modem the
string "AT&F" to do a soft-reset to factory settings, for example.

I can't get tip to run in any way other than interactive mode, so I gave
up using it.

My end goal would be to throw a bunch of AT commands into a Perl script
and feed it to the modem.

Any ideas?  Are there any programs that will take redirected output from
the command line?  Example:
	# ./my_command < my_at_commands.txt

Or, perhaps I'm not using echo correctly on the command-line...

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

--
Mike Harlan
mike@harlanonline.org