Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2002 21:00:23 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Per-release installation instructions?

--Ix2jQZQ3wXOip0b1

I wonder if it's worth pulling the installation instructions (i.e.,
chapter 2 of the Handbook) out in to its own document, and branching it.

I was discussing the FreeBSD install with a colleague today who's trying
FreeBSD 4.5 for the first time.  He was convinced that when he'd
installed 4.5, it had installed XFree86 4.mumble as well.

I said no, it would be XFree86 3.mumble.

Turns out that he'd looked at the online release notes for 4.5, which
have a link to chapter 2 for installation.  And buried in the online
Handbook is a note that the XFree version that's installed is version 4.

Except that we only started doing that after 4.5 was released.  If he'd
looked in the version of the Handbook that was in /usr/doc he'd have
seen the right information. . .

=2E . . except that he was doing this research *before* he'd installed
FreeBSD.  So there's a chicken and egg situation.

Hence the question in my first paragraph.

Thoughts?

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \=
 ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/=
_)

--Ix2jQZQ3wXOip0b1

--Ix2jQZQ3wXOip0b1--