Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2002 02:48:58 -0300
From:      Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, msmith@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding SO_NOSIGPIPE to -STABLE/-CURRENT

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 10:48:04PM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 11:22 PM -0300 6/13/02, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
> >	Similar options can be found in:
> >
> >	- Darwin - SOF_NOSIGPIPE
> >	- Linux - MSG_NOSIGNAL
> >	- Solaris - Don't recall
> >	- Possibly others
>
> After a very quick check of include files on solaris, nothing obvious
> jumps out at me...
>
> How is the proposed SO_NOSIGPIPE different from SOF_NOSIGPIPE or
> MSG_NOSIGNAL?  If the behavior is meant to be exact the same as
> one of those, then should we pick the same name?

	They all behave the same. Since this is meant to be a socket option,
I prefer SO* to non-standard naming MSG_NOSIGNAL.

	Darwin call it SOF_NOSIGPIPE because they use it as socket
flag as opposed to a socket option such as either SO_DONTTRUNC or
SO_WANTMORE.

	Well, Linux has it as a socket option, it looks okay
as a socket option so the name begins with SO_. SO_NOSIGPIPE
because it describes well its use as it does in Darwin.

	However, that's my opinion. I am all open to suggestions.

--
Mario S F Ferreira - DF - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
Computer Science Undergraduate | FreeBSD Committer | CS Developer