Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 08:49:46 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@ark.cris.net>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/calendar Makefile

On Friday, 14 June 2002 at 12:16:29 +0300, Alexey Zelkin wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 02:22:00PM -0700, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> grog        2002/06/13 14:22:00 PDT
>>
>>   Modified files:
>>     usr.bin/calendar     Makefile
>>   Log:
>>   beforeinstall target:
>>
>>   - Remove superfluous ;
>>   - create destination directories if they don't exist.
>
> This is incorrect. It's a task of mtree(8) to create directory
> hierarchy, and IIRC it was discussed number of times before.

Possibly I'm missing some vital information here, but how does mtree
get invoked from the individual Makefile?  It should be possible to
do:

  cd /usr/src/usr.bin/calendar
  make all install

This didn't work, because the French calendar entries had been added
since the last 'make world'.  It doesn't seem reasonable for 'make
install' in this directory to behave differently from 'make
installworld' in /usr/src.

On Friday, 14 June 2002 at 19:18:01 +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> grog        2002/06/13 14:22:00 PDT
>>
>>   Modified files:
>>     usr.bin/calendar     Makefile
>>   Log:
>>   beforeinstall target:
>>
>>   - Remove superfluous ;
>>   - create destination directories if they don't exist.
>
> It is a style bug at best to create destination directories directly,
> especially using mkdir -p instead of install -d to ensure having little
> control over the directories' attributes.

I tried install -d first, and got problems which suggested that I was
misunderstanding its use.  Here's the rule I had:

.for lang in ${INTER}
	${INSTALL} -d -c -o ${BINOWN} -g ${BINGRP} -m ${TEXTMODE} \
		${.CURDIR}/calendars/${lang}/calendar.* \
		${DESTDIR}${SHAREDIR}/calendar/${lang}
.endfor

This generated:

install: /src/FreeBSD/5.0-CURRENT/src/usr.bin/calendar/calendars/de_DE.ISO8859-1/calendar.all exists but is not a directory

How do I get around this issue?

Greg