Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 2002 18:57:06 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Verbose commit messages (Re: cvs commit: ports/deskutils/kdepim3 Makefile distinfo pkg-plist ports/deskutils/kdepim3/files patch-icallangbind.c patch-parseholiday.y patch-vcc.y patch-vobject.c patch-y_tab.c ports/audio/arts Makefile distinfo ports/audio/kdemultimedia3 Makefile distinfo ...)

On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 12:57:59PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Informative commit messages can be great, but please try and remember
> the repo bloat when you write long commit messages for commits which
> touch large numbers of files.
>
> This single commit added close to a megabyte to the ports repo.

You're right.  It takes too long to commit the update with the
individual ports, since there are usually hundreds of files
updated in each upgrade, not to mention that doing them
individually loses atomicity.  So perhaps what I'll do next time
is just keep the first line and point to a changelog on a website.
And perhaps follow up to the commit message with the contents of
that changelog.

How's that?

I should also try to reduce the number of files needing changes
for each upgrade too, actually.  Perhaps combine all the
distinfo's to x11/kde3/distinfo and centralize the version number
in bsd.kde.mk or x11/kde3/Makefile.kde.  That would probably cut
down the number of files changed by at least half.

Regards,
--
wca