Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 16:44:53 +0900
From:      Michael Westbay <westbay@seaple.icc.ne.jp>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommended servlet starter tools?

mckitrick-san wrote:

> [...] it
> seems to take a while to get started, but then the CPU usage tapers off=
=2E

The startup, loading the JVM, each context, etc. will take some resources=
,=20
yes.  Also, the first time you access a page with a newer timestamp than =
the=20
current clock, the page will be recompiled.  That causes an extra several=
=20
seconds for the first acceess.  When you start breaking pages up to inclu=
de=20
other pages, you need to learn what gets automatically recompiled and wha=
t=20
doesn't.

> If I have OpenJIT installed an showing up in 'java -version' does this
> mean Tomcat is compiled and then run natively?

I don't understand the question.  Tomcat is compiled and run under the JV=
M. =20
OpenJIT will help out the JVM by converting and executing parts of the Ja=
va=20
byte code to native code.  That's what a JIT does, to my understanding.

Nonetheless, I'm glad to hear that you've had an increase in performance.

Take care.

--=20
Michael Westbay
Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/