Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 02:42:09 +0200
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wireless lans with multiple accesspoints

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 00:36:39 +0100, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org> wrote:

> The access points will negotiate with eachother and choose the one with
> the strongest signal.

I think this is incorrect. The APs don't negotiate anything among them.

See below

> On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:19:53 +0200, Christoph Kukulies <kuku@accms33.physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> > Assume you have a LAN with several access-points attached.
> > The reachability areas of these access-points are overlapping.
> >
> > There is a DHCP server in the network that supplies IP adresses for the
> > access-points and the clients, e.g. notebooks with wireless pc cards.
> >
> > What happens when you are in the area that is covered by two access-points?
> >
> > I mean, which access-point takes over the 'routing'?

I am not sure of what you mean by 'routing', since an AP is a layer 2
device and routing is layer 3. If I understand correctly your question,
you want to know with which AP the client will associate.

It depends on the configuration of the APs and the client. If the APs
have different SSIDs, and the client is set to the zero-lenght SSID
(incorrectly referred to as the "ANY" SSID), then it will associate with
the AP with strongest signal. If the client is set to a particular SSID,
then it will associate with the AP that owns that SSID, no matter signal
strenght (obviously assuming the signal is not too low).

marco