Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 16:49:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Password security

Bill Moran wrote to Ryan Thompson:

> There were a lot of excellent responses,

I'd like to echo the same to the list; thanks to all of you for the
plethora of responses and good discussion. This thread is actually not
getting as far off track as I thought it might by now :-)

> There are some tricks to improve the "average human's" memory.
> Poetry is one of them.  Most people can memorize a few lines of
> poetry (or a song) rather easily.  Increase the length of their
> passwords to 10+ and then tell them how generate them:  Take a line
> of poetry or a line from a song and make an acronym from it.

Yes, very good idea. I have tried similar strategies in the past, and
had problems with compliance. (People inevitably tried it, got tired
of the "new thing", and changed their password back to what it was
before). I guess the problem was that the users still had access to
set almost arbitrary passwords for themselves... so going back to old
habits was too easy. I probably should have persisted with this and
made it work.

Issuing passwords, at least, guarantees some level of password
uniqueness and entropy.. provided users don't do foolish things like
tape it to their monitor because it's too long to remember. :-) Thus,
I can restrict access to the passwd binary, and print the wallet cards
with new keys every month, and assist with the memorization of the new
short passwords. (Which, if I use the "poetry" idea in some way, will
be much easier).

> poem is actuall much longer (and I remember the whole flippin
> thing), but just those two lines give me "trftpidtshbiclttantb" as a
> password, 20 characters, and while I don't know for sure, it would
> seem to me that there's more entropy in that than in any "word"

Yes, certainly. Calculating the entropy of that beast would be a bit
difficult... One could just say 26^20, but if I know (or guess) it's
English, and every letter doesn't occur with nearly the same
probability, it's less than that. If I happen to know your algorithm,
and have a dictionary of poetry and/or lyrics handy, it's a *lot* less
than that. If you can mix upper/lower and add punctuation (i.e., "Lo,
Fred's chickens laid 24 eggs!" => "L,F'scl2e!", makes for a stronger
password). More stats than I'd like to do at the moment.  :-)

The truth is passwords based on "human" algorithms are usually
suprisingly hard to break. Things like q4w3e2r1t0y fool password
crackers regularly, and usually require brute-forcing.

So, short answer is, yes, your password likely wouldn't be vulnerable
to brute-force or standard dictionary attacks. More effort than
required to attack other avenues, which is really the important thing.

> password.  Most people already have dozens of songs memorized, so it
> works. This is more of a "stupid human trick" than brave new
> technology, but it may be helpful to you.

:-)

> > The best I've come up with so far is to issue random passwords,
> > from an array of 68 possible characters (alpha num and some
> > easily-typed symbols). I issue two passwords for each user. One is
> > short enough to be remembered with a small effort (6 characters,
> > entropy > 2^36, assuming my randomizer is up to par). The second
> > [...]
>
> Actually, that's an excellent procedure. Looks like you've already
> done most of your homework.

I kind of like it myself.

> I'm assuming that you've already looked
> into these other issues, but just in case:

> Monitor everything.

Yep. Log to line printer.. Account audits.. Throughput monitoring
(logins, attempts, bandwidth, etc).. Remote monitoring.. The list
goes on.

> Disable accounts that experience x successive unsuccessful logins

Exponential backoff works well enough. I suppose we could trigger
stronger (email) warnings to sysadmins and users after a number of
unsuccessful attempts.

> Obviously, you have some *serious* security concerns.

Doesn't everybody? :-) More than anything, password security is weak,
yet fairly trivial to strengthen. So I wouldn't be doing my job if I
didn't do something about it *before* an attacker takes the initiative
:-)

> > [...]
>
> I wouldn't be worried about folks getting mugged, so much as someone
> being lazy with the security of their system password hash.  In this
> case, an account disabling policy will help, because the account
> will be disabled before the cracker can brute force it.  Many folks
> will expose their password to others out of laziness and never
> really notice it.

Agreed.

> [...]
> to your network, I would implement a mandatory user education
> program.  Use it to:
>
> 1. Explain what's going on and how it works.
>
> 2. Instruct on best practices.
>
> 3. Scare the crap out of them.

Good points. Of course we already have a security policy (10 clearly
written pages, supplemented with links to other sources for those who
want a more detailed understanding). I personally present the security
policy to new employees and informally discuss the important points
one-on-one. A security quiz follows, re-enforced with soda and snacks.
Policy seems to sit better when accompanied by food for some reason.
:-)

> > I know that people *want* to re-use their favorite dictionary
> > password(s)... so there will be *some* resistance to a system like
> > the above...
>
> You might be able to use the poetry method above to ease things.

Good idea. I might just do that.

> > I'm not really interested in a "passwords are bad" debate, unless
> > there are readily available technologies of which I'm not aware
> > that can be deployed across many dumb insecure computers across an
> > insecure network.
>
> Passwords are fine, users are bad ;)

:-)

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

  901 1st Avenue North - Saskatoon, SK - S7K 1Y4

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-3630   Saskatoon