Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:02:41 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <dev-null@NUXI.com>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, "David O'Brien" <dev-null@NUXI.com>, ru@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: recent bsd.lib.mk changes

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 05:46:17PM -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> = I can think of very few reasons to build a .so, but not a .a. Some
> = people do like to build static binaries.
>
> And some people are the opposite. However, for loadable (as in dlopen(3))
> plugins, suchs Tcl modules the static libraries are useless at best.

I said "few", not "none".

> Why can't we have some way to explicitly list what is and what is not
> needed?

Feel free to send a patch adding "ONLYSHAREDLIBS".  "INTERNALLIB" in no
logical way I can think of would lead someone to think that only shared
libs should be built and they should be installed.

> By this logic, we don't need to install the bsd.*.mk files at all...

If you want "cd /usr/src/bin/foo && make all install" to work, you need
to have the installed in /usr/share/mk.

> Note, that they are not even called freebsd.*.mk -- to me, the names
> implies they are (more or less) consistens among all of the BSDs :-)

They started life when there was but _1_ BSD and that one was from CSRG @
UCB.