Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:51:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>, <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: It is time to admit that removable devices exist

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> When you eject a pccard, we may get in pccard-socket interrupt before it
> disappears but we may also not.  Depending on the world+dog this
> interrupt me come before, during or after the relevant device driver
> enters its interrupt routine.

And dirtying up every bit of code that is called from the interrupt
handler that touches the hardware isn't the solution.

Thinking that this feature should actually work is the real problem.

MacOS X and Windows don't support this (ie: they blow up just as often as
we do when you try hot removing stuff.)

I want to see the performance hit this causes quantified on lower end
hardware before drivers are patched to support this API (which I concede
may have some use outside PCMCIA devices.)

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |