Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:59:25 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   libc flaw: BIND 9 closes most holes but also opens one

I've installed BIND 9 on our main domain name server to shield systems
(including Windows boxes, which may be vulnerable) from the libc hole.
Unfortunately, according to ISC, BIND 9 comes with a version of
libbind that's vulnerable. (See http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2002-19.html.)
So, if you load up BIND 9 and an app that uses it (such as Sendmail) links
to the vulnerable libbind, you're still exposed.

This problem may take even longer to mop up than I first thought (and I was
pessimistic to start with). I was slated to build a new server today, but
since 4.6-RELEASE-p1 isn't yet up on the Japanese snapshot server yet,
I think I'll wait.

--Brett