Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 2002 19:24:40 +0200
From:      Alessandro de Manzano <adm@unixmania.net>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        John Long <fbsd1@sstec.com>, security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: named 8.3.2-T1B vulnerable?

On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 05:15:42PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:

Hi!

> should be using 8.3.3 if you're using BIND 8. You can build the bind8 port
> with:
>
> make clean ; make -DPORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND8 install
>
> and it will update the version of BIND on your system. You could also
> leave off the flag if you'd rather have the new bind in /usr/local, but
> 8.3.2-T1B had some icky bugs so I recommend just writing over it to be
> safe.

I've a question about replacing with PORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND8.

If today I install BIND 8.3.3 from the port with that option it will
overwrite the system one but next time I'll do a buildworld /
installworld I'll get again 8.3.2-T1B or whatever RELENG_4(_6) will
have that time.. right ?

More, I'll get an entry in the installed packages database for BIND
8.3.3 that is "dangerous", since if I'll ever pkg_delete it I'll lost
the real/overwritten BIND...

Is possible to "make install" it without making an entry in pkgdb ?

> to RELENG_4. I doubt that the security officer team will want to import
> BIND 8.3.3 into any of the RELENG_4_x branches. The port will do the same

I'll hope yes, since the security fixes are important, IMHO...

Thanks in advance !

--

bye!

Ale