Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 15:29:08 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Brett Rogers <loki_bsd@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: automatic detection of a proxy server

In the last episode (Jul 01), Brett Rogers said:
> I have set up a FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE box at my school to show my
> professor different aspects of FreeBSD.  I really wanted to show him
> the ports collection since he's used to rpms.  My problem is that I
> cannot get out to the internet at all.  It operates correctly in the
> internal network (I set up an FTP server and it works fine as does
> telnet) I know there is a proxy server somewhere, but I dont know
> what the address is or anything else about it.  All the Windows boxes
> detect it just fine and he's said none of the linux boxes he's used
> have had problems.  What can I do to make FreeBSD detect it?  I am
> using DHCP to obtain IP, DNS, etc.  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

A quick way would be to go to a windows box, and go to
http://www2.simflex.com/ip.shtml . Or google for "your ip address is"
and use one of the other sites that do the same thing.  This will tell
you the IP of the proxy, but depending on how your school's network is
set up, it night not help.  They may have a list of IP numbers or MAC
addresses that are allowed to use the Internet.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com