Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 16:47:56 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <dev-null@NUXI.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD current users <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: -current results (was something funny with soft updates?)

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 08:14:46PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     My conclusion is that softupdates is working fine and (A) the new GCC
>     is a whole lot less efficient then the old GCC

You really cannot say this -- GCC 3.1 does things 2.95 doesn't.  3.1 has
a totally rewritten code scheduler.  People can't get Pentium-4 and
Athlon tbird specific optimizations for free.

You almost seem to be making a claim on the quality of generated code,
vs. just the run-time of the compiler.  The two are different.