Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 21:33:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jason Stone <jason-fbsd-security@shalott.net>
To:        <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Default ssh protocol in -STABLE [was: HEADS UP: FreeBSD-STABLE now has OpenSSH 3.4p1]

> > > What do people think about this?  Keep 2,1 or revert to 1,2?
> >
> > There is a whole lot of infrastructure surrounding ssh v1 keys out there,
> > and it will all break if you change the default to v2.
> >

> I usually keep silent but this really triggered me.
> What do you mean when you say it will _all_ break?

Currently, people have scripts and cronjobs which use ssh v1 keys for
regular maintainence, data collection, etc.  Users have v1 keys widely
deployed to all the machines they use, etc.  This is what I mean by
infrastructure.

When the default changes to v2, then when connections are made, v2 will be
negotiated and the v1 keys will be ignored.  So when users upgrade from
4.6 to 4.7, run their agent and try to login to remote machines, their
keys won't be used.  When admins upgrade from 4.6 to 4.7 on their
networks, the maintainance scripts and cronjobs will suddenly stop
working.  This is what I mean by break.

Yes, it is possible to either generate new keys or edit the config files
to get the old behaviour back.  But users expect that if their systems
wotk with the defaults in 4.x, they'll continue to work in 4.x.

> > With the 5.0-RELEASE on the not-too-distant horizon, I really think it
> > best to not change default behaviour within a major release.  Keep the
> > default as it is - don't break people.
>
> Did you actually try this to claim so confidently that the switch will
> _break_ them so badly? My experience is not that bad.

No, no, you missed the point entirely - I'm not talking about
functionality or stability, I'm talking about release engineering.  We're
all anxious to get rid of protocol v1, but a major change like that
shouldn't happen within a major version of the OS.  But people _do_
expect radical changes from one major version of the OS to another, and
since 5.0 will be released soon, we should be content that v2 will be the
default soon without our changing 4.x.

 -Jason

 I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
 too young to have logged on yet.  Here's what I worry about.  I worry
 that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say "Daddy, where
 were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?"
	-- Mike Godwin