Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 18:07:12 -0600
From:      Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        alfred@freebsd.org
Subject:   tuning for samba

A local company has been having issues with samba for some time (it kills
an e250, and has seriously stressed an e5000) and I've been telling the
admin (half seriously) that he should just toss it on a PC with FreeBSD.
Well they finally got tired of hearing FreeBSD this and FreeBSD that and
asked me to bring a box in if I was so confident... tomorrow morning at
9am.  So, I'm building a new box tonight and was wondering if anybody
has any tried and true tuning parameters for samba on -stable.  They
currently have ~700 users attached.  The load per user is pretty low
but just rebooting and handling the reconnects has killed small boxes.

As a side note, the data being served will be attached to the samba server
via NFS.

Thanks.

--
Chad David        davidc@acns.ab.ca