Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 2002 16:06:07 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Include files in /usr/local/include not found

> Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 13:50:02 +0200
> From: Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Include files in /usr/local/include not found
>
> Hi!
>
> I got an error while making ./configure for a program. It said it
> did not find png.h, but it's there as I have png-1.2.4 installed
> on my system.
>
> Wrote the following test program:
>
> ---test.c
> #include <png.h>
>
> int main()
> {
>   return 0;
> }
>
> Did then compile it with:
> cc test.c
>
> Got the following error:
> test.c:1: png.h: No such file or directory
>
> Did then try to compile it as this:
> cc -I/usr/local/include test.c
>
> This worked!
>
> My question is:
> How do one fix so /usr/local/include is searched automatically?
>
> If that can be done, the ./configure should work for the program
> I'm trying to build.

    I don't have an answer, but two questions instead (and a hint
    maybe):

    what does config.log say about that error?
    is the software publically available?

    ./configure often does weird things to detect presence of a package
    in the system, and it might just as well turn out that no matter
    what you do, ./configure doesn't find your png.h. heck, php-4.2.1's
    ./configure found unix.h on systems without one!
    (http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=17317)

    also, since ./configure often does part of it job by compiling tiny
    test programs, you may get a totally bogus error. i remember
    reporting a ./configure error in php when it later turned out the
    *actual* error was not the one on which ./configure died, but 100
    lines above!

    morale: don't trust configure, and if at all possible, double check
    what it tells you with its guts, and config.log

--
FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE
3:54PM up 6:08, 6 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.02