Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:14:57 -0400
From:      parv <parv@pair.com>
To:        thrawn@linux.nu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 ports problem when trying to build package

in message <20020715140725.A76325@thrawn.birch.se>,
wrote thrawn@linux.nu thusly...

> I get this error when i try to build x11/XFree86-4 as an port:
>
> thrawn/usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4# make package                             2:02PM
> ===>  XFree86-4.2.0_1,1 is already installed - perhaps an older version?
>       If so, you may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install
>       this port again by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
>       If you really wish to overwrite the old port of XFree86-4.2.0_1,1
>       without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
                                                     ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
>       in your environment or the "make install" command line.
> *** Error code 1
>
> I have the port installed but how do I get rid of the complains
> that it is all ready installed?  I just want to build it to a
> package. Do I have to do something special if the port is all
> ready installed?

note the bit about "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER".  it's used to force the
installation on already installed port.

so, as th message says, either make it environment variable; in
sh-like shelles, it's done via...

FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=yes
export FORCE_PKG_REGISTER

...or spcify it on the command line, like...

# make -DFORCE_PKG_REGISTER install