Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 23:49:49 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Eric Dedrick <dedrick@dsl-146-127.resnet.purdue.edu>
Cc:        Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux compatability broken

In the last episode (Jul 24), Eric Dedrick said:
> Okay, we got it.  I had to run linux_base-6 and *not* any type of
> linux_base (7.1) whatsoever.
>
> Since it would appear that running linux_base-6 and linux_base(7.1) are
> mutually exclusive (after all, they run non-compatable versions of glibc),
> here's a question:  I have some software I can't upgrade (proprietary)
> that requires linux_base-6.  If I install linux software from the ports,
> is it going to require linux_base 7.1?

You should be able to install both ports at once.

> Here was the hangup:  In order to install linux_base-6, svr4.ko had to be
> unloaded from the kernel.  Once linux_base-6 was installed, svr4.ko could
> be loaded again and things still worked just fine.  At least that's what I
> think the solution was.
>
> At any rate, I can run my linux binaries now, though I am still somewhat
> dis-satisfied.  Why do things break under 7.1 and not 6?

Dunno. It looks like all your linux binaries got branded to the wrong
type (svr4 instead of Linux), so the svr4 layer grabbed them first if
it was loaded.  Try this:

find /compat/linux -type f -perm +a+x -ls | xargs brandelf -t Linux

, which should rebrand all the Linux binaries to Linux.  It shouldn't
be necessary though.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com