Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:19:35 +0200
From:      Dirk Janssen <djanssen@netcologne.de>
To:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Openssh-portable

Scott Gerhardt schrieb:

>I just set up openssh-portable-3.4p1_5 from the ports on a 4.5-RELEASE
>box and now ssh is very slow to login (60 seconds or more).  Other than
>the delay, everything else works fine.  I couldn't find any answers in
>the archives.
>
>Seems like DNS lookup issue.
>
>Is this a known problem and what is the suggested fix?

I had this problem too on one machine (others worked fine, all
4.6-Stable), it had nothing to do with my settings in sshd_config
(ReverseMappingCheck no).
It helped (I don't exactly know why) to copy my resolv.conf to the
directory /usr/local/empty/etc/ an chmod /usr/local/empty to 755.
If /usr/local/empty doesn't exist, try /var/empty, this depends on how
you compiled openssh.
If somebody knows why exactly this solution works it would be kind to let
me know.

Regards,

Dirk